Saturday, January 22

Public Speaking 101

So that was an interesting past two days...

Nothing brings people together better than food.
We started on Thursday with a mound of prep work for the off-site catering event on Friday in Bari. and anyone whose done an off site event knows that there a pain in the ass. Mainly for the fact that you not only have to prep and cook the food, you then have to transfer it to the site your serving at and then use a completely unfamiliar kitchen to finish the job, but ill explain how that went later. On Thursday, besides the what was previously stated, myself and Ant went with the other Japanese chefs with Peppe to w meeting about the impact Mediterranean Diet has on Italy and the rest of the world. Now I have no problem sitting and smiling and acting like I know whats going one even though I haven't clue whats being said. But what if you got invited to speak on behalf of America in thus subject matter? And note: It would be televised via internet across all of Italy? Yeah I'm down with that. So without hesitation I sat up with some of the biggest names in southern cuisine and had Peppe translate my words, and I didn't do a half bad job if I do say so myself. From there we went with a few other people form the meeting and got food and talked about what was previously said in the meeting, networking at its finest. We unfortunately had to leave but made some solid friends while we were there.

The A-Team
On Friday we got together around 2 o'clock to make finally preparation for our off site catering gig in Bari. it was only a 6 course menu so we were able to fit everything we needed into two cars and at 3:30 we were on our way. When we got to the event in Bari we realized it was literally a 3 foot walk from the ocean, the banquet hall was in a cruise port. The entire event went off without a hitch and it really wasn't anything to different form what were used to in Orsara. At the end of the dinner though we were invited out front, the entire kitchen staff, to be introduced by the owner of the banquet hall. now once again I do not have a problem standing in front of roughly 140 people I've never met and smile and wave and seem like I'm having the time of my life but its really never that easy. Again, for the second night in a row, Peppe had me talk to the group of people as if they had a single clue what I was saying, and explain to them how much different Italian food was to American Italian food. I mean yes Peppe did translate for me so it wasn't a total waste, and from the round of applause I got when I was finished it made is seem like I said what they wanted to hear, but then agian how much of it was my words or Peppe translating to them what they wanted to hear? Either way I felt confident about it so theirs no need to dwell about it. After that we cleaned up, re-packed the cars, and heaed on our way back to Orsara a job well done.

So just 27 more days before I stand on American soil once again, Time fly's when you're have fun.

Pace&Amore
-R

3 comments:

  1. RJ...I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your blog. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures! Kim Lord

    ReplyDelete
  2. See and you thought all the times we had you speak to Cheney under classmen was just for fun

    Chef B

    ReplyDelete