Sunday, January 30

Whoops!

Looks Good Right?
Well that was my bad...didn't realize how longs its been since I've updated the blog.

The past week has been more or less the same ol' same. We've had a few more parties than the beginning of the month but still no major 100+ people. The chefs here are really starting to rely on myself and Anthony a bit more, we've been put on prep by ourseleves before the service now while the other chefs go down and set up the kitchen. Nothing we can't handle or things we havent done but it feels good to finally gain that trust, you know? Despite the weather change here (colder and more snow) we've still been able to get extremely fresh crops on a near daily basis and it hasn't affected our menu much if at all. I realized the other day when we went out to eat how different the menu is in italy compared to the states.  Usually when we go out we try and tell the chefs "The regular" which consists of whatever we got when we came in with someone who could actually speak Italian but last week I wanted to look at a menu to see what I may have been missing. When I was going over the menu I realized that you don't order a specific dish you order which courses you want.
I.E. Primi, Secondi, Anti Pasti, Dolce. And based on the amount of courses is what you pay. Now depending on whatever the chef has in stock, or freshest is what the course is, so you really don't know what your going to get unless to talk to the chef himself that day. It only took me 3 months but I finally got it. Peppe also gave Rinaldi and I a specific job, we need to create a Chick-Pea Hamburger. Basically he is trying to incorporate protein into the daily diet but without using meat at all so the second best source is legumes. Were now in charge of trial and error on making a Chick-Pea hamburger (I'll keep you posted on our progress but our intial trials have been positive)

ALSO: the 14th of Feb My father catches his plane to Rome and we'll be seeing him on the 16th when he comes to Orsara. Extremely excited to see another familiar face besides Rinaldi.

21 more days in the boot and thoughts of home are plaguing both of us but were enjoying our stay daily.

Pace&Amore
-R

p.s. Still havn't slaughtered any animal...losing hope of getting this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment